Friday, December 26, 2014

The parts machines

Although I only have three (as of December 26, 2014 far, these irreparable typewriters can be really useful to anyone who needs a part out there. Just leave a comment if you are interested in anything, and we can work something out. Parts are free, shipping isn't. This list will be continually updated as I get new machines and lose parts, so remember to check in!

40's Underwood Standard


This big brute was actually in decent shape when I got it. Unfortunately I thought I could repair it at a time when I hardly knew how to wield a screwdriver (aka summer 2014). While attempting to remove the carriage (can you see where this is heading?) I messed a whole lot of things up. I have since put everything back in place but I think I busted some important mechanism on the inside in the process. Did I mention I lost all the screws I took out?

Parts taken: 
-1 of 2 shift lock keys
-Drawband
-Several screws
-Entire carriage
-Shift key


40's Underwood Universal


Bought at an antique shop because I needed parts for my US Navy Universal. It's a real rust bucket, almost nothing works.

Parts taken:
-Shift lock key
-Front panel (under ribbon cover)
-All rubber feet
-Spring (for ribbon cover)
-Both platen knobs


40's Royal Quiet De Luxe


I bought this over shopgoodwill.com because it was the uncommon brown color. I thought I could fix it, but of course it has so many issues it is not fixable. The most obvious issue, as you can see, it the bent frame. However, that is not even the biggest or hardest to fix problem this typer has.

Parts Taken:
(nothing)

20's Royal 10

I don't have a picture of this one yet, unfortunately. It is in good shape, actually, and it makes me sad to part it out. However it has the fatal problem of a snapped "o" typebar. I have already taken a few parts from it, and now it is available to anyone else who needs it!

It was rebuilt in the 30's, so it doesn't have the original keys, knobs, or glass windows. The windows were replaced with plastic inserts.

Parts Taken:
-Platen
-Feet
-Feed rollers (but I still have the feed roller bar)

Apologies for the miserable photos, but I really didn't want to lug these outside for proper lighting.

(Last updated Mar 27 2015)

18 comments:

  1. Glad I found your blog thank to your comment on Richard's. Very nice blog.

    If you are parting out the Underwood I'm interested in the platen or even whole carriage if you cannot remove the platen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which Underwood would that be, the Universal or standard? In any case I'll do my best to get the platen off soon.

      Delete
    2. The Underwood standard. Email me via my blog:
      Fountain Pens & Typewriters

      Delete
  2. Ok, sent the email. Nice blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Do you still have the platen knobs for that underwood portable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could I aquire them off you? I'd pay for the postage and the cost.

      Delete
    2. That would be great. Email me through the blog and we can work things out.

      Delete
  4. Hey great blog - fun graphics! Just discovered you - Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking for right platen knob and beveled side glass for a Royal 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I only have parts for the machines pictured

      Delete
  9. Do you still have the 40's Royal QDL? My Royal Arrow (same basic model) came missing the letter L keytop, and it's support down to the first moveable joint. Is that possible? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you email me with a picture of where the part is missing? I don't quite understand what you mean by "it's support down to the first moveable joint" and pictures would help a ton. You can access my email by looking at my blogger profile.

      Delete
  10. The Underwood Standard reminds me of my mother's first typewriter. When I first saw it, it had a problem in the escapement wheel pawl. I used it to learn how a typewriter works--I was 12 years old. It was a great learning tool. When I was 13, I bought a Remington KMC for $2.00, and in one month, I fixed it up to where I could use it for homework assignments. We got rid of the Underwood in 1981, but not before I pulled the keys and ribbon reverse knob (the keys I put on my Remington, and the knob--there's an interesting travel story, but, long story short, it finally wound up on a machine almost just like the Underwood--one I call "Mamma Kat," after a late great teacher I once knew. I still have that machine, and she's a great one. By the way, I would keep that one you have if I were you--another one might come along, and with the knowledge you've gained tinkering around with it, you just might be able to fix the second one. I'd bet you wouldn't have to do too much to it.

    ReplyDelete