Monday, November 24, 2014

A typewriter named Sandy

Sandy in her natural habitat, next to Hank my Swingline stapler.
The carriage lever has left a scar.
Pay no attention to the thumb in the upper left corner..


  1. Sandy has lots of character. Thanks for introducing her!

    I've seen many typewriters whose carriage return levers have bent down and now scratch the machine. It's always been possible for me to fix the problem simply by pulling the lever back up. (Obviously, use intelligent, controlled pressure and don't yank it.)

    1. The lever is actually just wobbly in its post, but trust me I have tried bending. I have also tightened all the screws around the lever, but it just seems like the plate it is screwed onto has worn.

  2. I've never tried this, but maybe you can try some very thin brass shimstock wrapped around the shaft of the return lever. It may be trial and error to get it just right--but a combination of several different thicknesses of shimstock plus some fine sandpaper ought to at least get you somewhere in the ballpark of a tighter fit.

  3. I've also ran into this on the old Royals: the part that holds the carriage lever, instead of being enlarged on the inside, making the lever wobbly, could be loose on its base. About the only thing you can do or have done is to take the typewriter to a machine shop to have that part brazed on. After it's brazed, paint over it so it won't be too noticable, and the carriage lever should work just fine. If you opt to have it welded, be careful--welding tends to distort metal and make it brittle--it'll never be the same again. I hope this helped--let me know how the repair comes out.