Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A New Desk!

My old desk.

Looks pretty sturdy, no?
Top comes off, only to show this mess
(Unfortunately I forgot to get a picture of the second half of the typecast- this paragraph is transcribed from the original typewritten copy)

With all this and more, it is
very reasonable for me to
have wanted a better desk for some
time now. Looks like I got what I
wished for!
-Sent from my Remington Monarch

Behold!
It harbors a secret inside...

Voila!

Note wear on the surface.

I got this sturdy desk via craigslist for $20 . As you can see, it is purposely built for typewriters. Although it is surprisingly small, it is rock solid and never wobbles in the least- even with a full sized office machine on top! It's got just the right amount of wear and tear to look right at home with my 1914 Remington Monarch that I recently managed to get working.

This desk will serve me well for years to come.

10 comments:

  1. Excellent deal at that price, and a nice choice to live in the cubby! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on this historic item - quality endures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the best spent $20 ever! Those desks are really fantastic and to get one for that price is even better. Happy typing on the new desk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sweet! I picked up a piece of typewriter furniture myself lately. That's a damn great score though! Nicer than mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see yours- hope it shows up on you blog some time (HINT HINT) :D

      Delete
  5. Yeah very cool - and I haven't seen a typewriter desk in years. In it's own right, the Art Deco kitchen table is cool too if all the screws are tightened up. and loose wood glued back together. But they were meant for eating on, not heavy typewriters.
    A good quality wood furniture oil on that desk would disappear many of those scratches - the best for antiques is Conrad's Wood Food Oil, available online. After a good wiping down with Murphy's Oil Soap and water, and a few coats of oil, the desk will look like new, and you'll be nourishing the wood. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so you noticed that the old "desk" was actually a kitchen table! I was wondering if anyone would point that out. As a table, yes, it is very good but not at all meant for typewriters. I hope to have some small repair and cleaning done on it in the near future.

      I think I'll clean up the larger scratches, but I don't want the desk to look new. I want to keep all the history and wear; I like my antiques looking like antiques, if you know what I mean.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean, I didn't really mean new new, just richer, and more beautiful. I too, like things to look their age, I usually stop restoring typewriters at a certain point, and let them show their years.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete